Clothing is anything you place on your body in order to protect or adorn it. It include your clothes, accessories and other things. Clothing is very important. Clothes are normally sewn. Sewing is there very important occupation. If you learn to sew, you can make your own clothes and make new ones. You can also make your own more attractive buy sewing household linens, such as curtains, table cover and other decoration pieces. In this way, you will not only save money, you can make money through sewing. In order to sew, you should be able to choose, use and care for sewing equipment and tools. You should also understand simple sewing terms and perform basic sewing processes.
SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
There are certain pieces of equipment that you are required for sewing. You need to know these. You also need to understand how to choose, use and care for each pieces of equipment properly. Do you need to start with the simple sewing tools and equipment.
CLASSES OF SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Develop simple sewing tools and equipment can be group according to their uses and follows:
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT FOR MEASURING
- RULER : this is used for marking the width of hems, facing etc. It is also used in pattern drafting.
- TAPE MEASURE : this is used for taking measurements of the body, fabric, and so on a tape measure is normally marked on both sides in inches and centimeters.
- HEM MARKER : this is used for marking the hems of finished garment.
- Avoid continuity with your scissors in the process of cutting fabric or pattern.
- Role of the tape when not in use and store in your sewing box or bag.
- Wash plastic tape in soapy water when it is dirty. Dry thoroughly.
- TRACING WHEEL : this is used with carbon paper or tracing paper in transferring markings from patterns to fabric.
- TRACING PAPER : this paper comes in many color. It is used for transferring pattern markings onto fabrics.
- TAILOR’S CHALK : this is a special color chalk used for marking marks on pattern and fabrics. It should be wrapped with a clean paper after each use and store in a sewing box.
- do not use your dressmakers scissors for cutting paper or cardboard. This makes the cutting-edge dull and blunt.
- Reserve small pair of scissors for cutting papers.
- Avoid dropping your seasonal shread in the floor, to avoid damaging them.
- Protect the scissors from rust.
- Do not wash with water. Wipe it dry each time it is in contact with water.
- When the scissors become hard to operate, apply machine oil at the joint.
- DRESSMAKER’S PINS : this look like needles but have “head” instead of “eye”. They are used for holding two or more pieces of cloth or paper together in sewing process.
- PIN-CUSHION AND EMERY BAG : pincushion is used for holding pins and needles when you are sewing, emery bag contains special dust which sharpens and polishes needles and pins.
3. NEEDLES : these are available in different sizes, and types. These include the following
- SHARPS : are needles use of average length with small eyes. They are most commonly used for hand sewing.
- BETWEEN : these are short needles with a small eyes.
- CREWEL OR EMBROIDERY : these are needles that have large sizes that are easy to thread. They are used for embroidery.
- MACHINE NEEDLES : these are used only with the sewing machine.
- Prevent your needles and pain from rusting by putting them in a small container of white powder.
- Do not throw needles and pain about, to prevent accidents
- Use pin cushion for older needles and pain wherever you are sewing.
- Use emery bag to sharpen and clean needles and pins.
- Visit a dressmakers workshop close to where you live. Observe the tools and equipment used for sewing. Ask questions and record your observations.
- Start building up your own sewing kit, by buying simple sewing tools.
Leave a Reply